So, I've developed a bad habit recently. I've been staying up late and watching Depeche Mode videos. Now, if you don't know who they are, I need you to go to YouTube right now and look them up. Any video really will do to give you an idea, but personally I like their older material better. If you can't do that then I'll give you a quick and dirty description of them. They are an English synth pop/ dark wave band that were popular mainly in the eighties and early nineties. Anyway, like I was saying I've been staying up a little too late recently and watching certain videos on repeat. I'm not sure why, but sometimes I go through phases where I'll listen to one group or artist a lot, then I'll switch to another one. These are usually artists I've liked for as long as I can remember with some new ones thrown in every once in a while.
I think the reason is because lately I've been in a little bit of a dark mood- somewhere between The Cure and The Smiths on the depressing 80s music continuum. So, there I find myself fixated once more on Depeche Mode. I won't go into details, I'm squeamish when it comes to sharing personal information about myself, online and otherwise. But, I've felt like I would like for things to be better. I've also been in a contemplative mood. Things such as, why am I not happy, and what is happiness anyway? I think these questions in an indirect way are addressed in their music. Not in a self-help kind of way, but in a why do people do the things they do, despite it hurting others kind of way. Happiness means different things to different people. Some people derive happiness from helping other people. Others take great pains to inflict it on others. This brings them happiness. These people can be called sadists, among other things. I've been struggling with the idea of that. I would like to know where that comes from, if at all possible. I read a theory once that said it's possible that these types of behaviors occur because of incest. Now, I'm not a biologist, and I don't study genetics or psychology. I have a passing knowledge of these topics, but I'm definitely no expert. As a layperson applying what I know about these things I'd say it's possible. I won't go into why I think that, though. I feel that's a bit much for this platform. At least for now, anyway.
But really, honestly, at the end of the day after all of my emotional baggage as been tended to for that 22+ hour period I just like admiring their aesthetic. I mean, what's not to like about lederhosen, man skirts, black leather, and dark sunglasses? Nothing, if you ask me.
No comments:
Post a Comment